Rory M. Deutsch, Senior Counsel
Tax Group$ Corporate & Securities Group
- Tax Group
- Corporate & Securities Group
Rory Deutsch is head of the firm’s tax practice and counsel to the firm’s corporate and securities practice. Mr. Deutsch founded the firm, together with Messrs. Wollmuth and Maher in April 1998. Rory’s practice focuses on providing corporate and tax guidance to clients on domestic and international corporate transactional matters including mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, private equity and venture capital formation, acquisition and financing transactions, debt and equity financings, hedge fund representation, counseling of early-stage and middle-market companies, derivative transactions, structuring of executive employment and incentive compensation agreements, procurement of Internal Revenue Service private letter rulings and technical advice memoranda, and resolution of federal and state tax disputes.
For more than 25 years, Rory has counseled business entities at all stages of development, their investors and their owners on complex legal matters that often bridge a number of practice areas. These entities come from a variety of industry groups including financial services, internet, banking, media, telecommunications, advertising, insurance, technology, biotechnology, financial technology, software and consumer products.
Rory received his J.D. (cum laude 1984) and LL.M. in Taxation (1987) from Boston University School of Law. Rory received his B.A. from Cornell University in 1981. Rory is currently admitted to practice law in New York.
- Served as counsel to Bond Desk Group LLC (a leading fixed income ECN) and its Members, including Goldman Sachs, UBS and Bank of America, in connection with the sale of the Company to Advent International.
- Served as counsel to IPC Systems Inc. in its acquisition of Positron, Inc., a Canadian manufacturer and distributor of command and control systems technologies.
- Served as counsel to the management group in connection with the sale of IPC System, Inc. by Goldman Sachs to Silver Lake Partners.
- Served as counsel to IPC Systems Inc. in connection with the sale of IPC Information Systems Inc. to West Corporation.
- Represented GSO Capital Partners in connection with its acquisition of the Heat Treating division of Gibraltar Industries Inc.
- Represented GSO Capital Partners in connection with its acquisition of Flex Elektrowerkzeuge GmbH from the Black & Decker Corporation and the subsequent sale of the Flex business to AXA Equity.
- Represented restructuring and advisory firm Zolfo Cooper LLC and its Members in connection with the sale of the Company to Kroll, Inc.
- Represented the Zolfo Cooper management team in connection with the subsequent management buyout of Zolfo Cooper LLC from Kroll, Inc.
- Represented Quickcomm Pty and its selling shareholders in connection with the sale of the Company to Vodafone Global Enterprises Limited.
- Represented OrbiMed Capital LLC in connection with the formation and capitalization of private equity funds Caduceus Private Investments, LP and Caduceus Private Investments II, LP.
Awards and Recognitions
Mr. Deutsch has been listed as a “Super Lawyer” in New York, a designation limited to 5% of the lawyers in a given state.*