Paul R. DeFilippo, Partner
Bankruptcy & Restructuring, and Corporate Groups
Paul DeFilippo leads the Firm’s bankruptcy practice, an area in which he has concentrated since 1979. In addition to his bankruptcy expertise, Paul also provides a unique combination of practical and legal advice to his clients in connection with transactional and litigation matters. Over more than 30 years of practice he has represented virtually every type of party in interest interested in the affairs of distressed entities, including debtors, creditors committees, secured parties, lessors, indenture trustees, purchasers, trustees, plan sponsors, defendants in avoidance actions, and foreign representatives in Chapter 15 cases.
Paul received his B.A. from Colgate University and his J.D. with honors from Seton Hall University School of Law.
Illustrative Professional Experience
- Counsel for Rehabilitator of Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Co
- Counsel for New World Coffee in acquisition out of bankruptcy of Einstein/Noah Bagel Corp, which involved acquisition by New World of a blocking position in Einstein debt to defeat debtor’s plan and force auction sale of assets
- Represented Debtors in restructurings of Greate Bay Casino Hotel (the Sands) involving competing plans filed by Icahn affiliates and Bally’s, and of Elsinore Shore Associates (Playboy)
- Counsel for Bondholder Committee in restructuring of Ballys Grand, involving Ballys casinos in Las Vegas and Reno
- Represented creditors committee in first restructuring of Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City
- Represented Donald and Ivanka Trump in 2010 restructuring of Trump casinos
- Represented creditors committee in restructuring of Emerson Radio Corp.
- Represented debtor in Chapter 11 of Twin County Grocers, the Foodtown buying co-op
- Counsel for plaintiffs in AIG Annuity Insurance Co v Sears Roebuck & Co., where a jury trial in Texas state court resulted in verdict for plaintiffs of $73.5 million
- Represented limited partners of LJM2 Co-Investment LP (the most notorious of the Enron off-balance sheet entities) in LJM 2 Chapter 11 case and in litigation against placement agen
- Counsel for Credit Suisse in recovering over $750 million in multi-jurisdictional restructuring of Grand Prix Associates
- Represented Indenture Trustee for $425 million in debentures in Public Service New Hampshire, the first investor owned utility to file bankruptcy since the Great Depression
- Counsel for Indenture Trustee for 3 issues of notes totaling $262 million in second Continental Airlines Chapter 11 case
Awards and Recognitions
Best Lawyers New York 2007-present
Top 100 Verdicts 2007
Panelist, National Conference Bankruptcy Judges 2004-04
Adjunct Professor, Seton Hall Law School, Debtor-Creditor Relations, 1992-94