Ryan A. Kane, Partner
Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group
Ryan Kane represents clients in a broad range of complex commercial disputes, including antitrust litigation, securities litigation, insurance and reinsurance litigation, professional liability matters, and related appellate matters.
Mr. Kane currently is representing Commerzbank AG, the FDIC, Western & Southern Life Insurance Co., Pacific Life Insurance Co. and other institutional investors in structured products litigation arising out of the Financial Crisis. Since joining the Firm, Mr. Kane has represented clients in complex antitrust matters, including Kohlberg Kravis & Roberts in a civil antitrust action alleging collusion among private equity firms for leveraged buyouts, the FDIC in various antitrust matters, and swap execution facilities in antitrust claims concerning interest rate swaps. Mr. Kane also recently represented Spotify USA Inc. in a matter before the United States Copyright Royalty Judges.
Mr. Kane received his J.D., cum laude, from Harvard Law School in 2002. He received his B.A.,summa cum laude, in History and Philosophy from Boston University in 1999.
Illustrative Professional Experience
Mr. Kane’s experience prior to joining WMD in July 2013 includes:
- Representation of major commercial bank in civil antitrust matter alleging defendants conspired to fix prices of various derivative products sold to municipalities throughout the United States.
- Representation of private equity firms in obtaining dismissal of an antitrust action arising out of their acquisition of Del Monte Foods.
- Representation of commercial bank in a derivatives contract lawsuit against a multi-billion dollar hedge fund that collapsed in connection with the 2008 financial crisis.
- Representation of private equity firm in achieving dismissal of lawsuit by target company arising out of the firm’s planned $8 billion acquisition of Alliance Data Systems.
- Representation of underwriters in securities litigation arising out of initial public offering of sporting goods company.
- Representation of various companies in connection with shareholder litigations arising out of mergers and acquisitions.
- Representation of power company in dismissing Clean Air Act lawsuit concerning power plant in West Virginia.
- Representation of multimedia company as appellate counsel in appeal concerning emerging electronic discovery issues in New York.
- Representation of real estate developer as appellate counsel in lawsuit in connection with the development of a New York City hotel.
- Representation of insurance company in centi-million dollar reinsurance dispute arising out of underlying asbestos-related losses.
- Representation of European insurance company in reinsurance arbitration in connection with the September 11 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.
- Representation of insurance company in international arbitration against major pharmaceutical company over coverage for product liability losses.
- Representation of various insurance companies in both pre-litigation resolution and litigation concerning coverage for losses in connection with lead paint.
- Representation of law firms in various professional liability matters, including legal malpractice, libel, attorney deceit, fraud and RICO claims.
- Representation of immigrant detainee pro bono client in achieving settlement of his Federal Tort Claim Act claim against the United States for negligent medical treatment.
Awards and Recognition
- Named as a “Super Lawyer” in Business Litigation in the New York Super Lawyers for 2014-2017.
- Awarded Commitment to Justice Team Award by inMotion, a non-profit organization offering free legal services to disadvantaged women.
- Formerly with Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP (2002-13)