William F. Dahill, Partner
Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group
Since 1991, William Dahill has concentrated his practice on complex commercial litigation. Areas of focus include securities industry litigation, employment litigation, construction litigation, insurance/reinsurance disputes, secured lending disputes, partnership and shareholder disputes. After beginning his career at Cahill Gordon & Reindel, he joined WMD in 1998, and has been a Partner since 1999.
Bill counsels and represents business entities at all levels and stages from start-ups to public companies. He also counsels and represents individuals in claims and defenses in litigation matters. He appears regularly in Federal and State Courts in New York and Connecticut. Bill is admitted to the bar in the States of New York and Connecticut, as well as to the bars of the Southern District of New York, Eastern District of New York, and the Courts of Appeals for the 2nd and 5th Circuits. In addition he has appeared in jurisdictions throughout the country, including Pennsylvania State Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Eastern District of Tennessee, Texas State Court and Illinois State Court. Bill conducts jury and bench trials, as well as multiple appellate arguments. In addition, Bill has conducted numerous arbitrations through full hearings at FINRA, AAA, JAMS and ARIAS. Finally, Bill has substantial experience with successful mediations conducted both through the courts as well as private organizations.
Bill has spoken before groups such as the Securities Industry Expert’s Roundtable on arbitration matters, as well as before groups on employment law topics.
Bill received his J.D. from Fordham University School of Law, cum laude, in 1991, where he served as Managing Editor of the Moot Court Board. Bill received his B.A. in Architecture from Columbia University in 1984.
- Representation of an investment banker in an action seeking damages for breach of an oral contract and misrepresentation resulting in a multimillion dollar judgment for the client, including an award of punitive damages, after a two-week jury trial in federal court in Bridgeport Connecticut.
- Representation of a U.S. broker/dealer in 5-year arbitration, confirmation proceedings and appeals resulting in the denial of a multi-million dollar employment and whistle-blower claim and a defamation claim arising out of statements made in a Form U-5 as well as complex securities issues involving allegations of mispricing of illiquid investment grade, convertible and high yield bonds and the effect thereof on regulatory filings of the broker/dealer.
- Representation of Mankraft Corp. in a successful bench trial of alleged discrimination claims in Pennsylvania State Court, Philadelphia.
- Representation of Swann Analytics in successful opposition through a preliminary injunction evidentiary hearing of a franchise termination dispute in federal court in New Haven.
- Representation of family in successful FINRA arbitration claims and subsequent confirmation and appeal affirming a $3.5 million arbitration award against a securities broker.
- Representation of Art Capital Group in successful litigation enforcing secured lender’s rights against Annie Leibovitz.
- Representation of Art Capital Group in successful litigation against Getty Images, Inc. for breach of non-disclosure agreement.
- Representation of a nursing home, Ruby Western Manor, in $30 million dispute with the general contractor and eighteen subcontractors involving delays, cost overruns and costs to complete; reached a favorable resolution after three weeks of jury trial in Brooklyn.
- Representation of Michael Page International in multiple matters, including matters successfully enforcing non-competes in which injunctive relief has been obtained and payments made by adversaries.
- Representation of Centre Insurance Co. in an action pending in Texas State Court, Houston; after obtaining permission to file mandamus and submitting the mandamus briefing application to the appellate court, the trial court reversed its prior ruling and compelled arbitration in New York.
- Representation of American Christmas Inc. in successfully obtaining injunctive relief in federal court despite there being no written restrictive covenant.
- Representation of Nicholas Stern, Stern Projects and six other individuals to successfully permit them to open business competing with their prior employer.
- Representation of a W.R. Grace in a product liability action seeking in excess of $200 million from it in an asbestos-in-building property damage action involving a major New York landlord and a high profile building in a case in which architectural, engineering and construction-related issues were prominent.
- Representation of individuals and entities in connection with formal and informal investigations by the SEC and the New York State District Attorney’s office on securities-related matters.
- Representation of a wealthy foreign family, major investors in a prominent mid-town Manhattan property as limited partners, in an action for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty against the general and other limited partners resulting in the acquisition of the entire interest in the property by the client.
- Representation of a major foreign software company and its president and CEO in a $100 million federal securities fraud class action in a case involving issues of accounting malpractice by the client’s auditors.
- Representation of a major super market chain in connection with claims asserted by the Department of Labor under the Fair Labor Standards Act for the alleged failure to pay overtime wages.
- Representation of Four M Investments LLC in successfully obtaining summary judgment dismissing all claims by a former Vice President of Finance for purported breach of employment contract.
- Representation of IPC Systems, Inc. in successfully obtaining summary judgment to require its adversary to submit a closing balance sheet dispute to alternative dispute resolution.
- Representation of IPC Systems, Inc. in successful defense of claims brought by Hamilton County, Tennessee in a case venued in the Eastern District of Tennessee at Chattanooga.
- Representation of Verus International in obtaining dismissal of federal securities fraud claims venued in the Western District of Texas.
- Representation of Fountains at Rivervue Retirement Community in pending actions in Westchester and New York Counties in disputes relating to construction.
- Representation of Westinghouse Air Brake Technology Company in asbestos personal injury cases brought by New York Transit Authority employees; successfully obtained summary judgment in multiple matters.